Make a complaint | Devon & Cornwall Police
Devon & Cornwall Police logo
Devon and Cornwall is one of the
safest places to live in England and Wales

Non-emergencies 101 or Textphone 18001 101


Make a complaint

Make a complaint

Devon & Cornwall police are committed to providing the highest possible level of service. However, there may be occasions when you feel dissatisfied with some aspect of the service received, or it may have fallen below the level you would expect, in which case you may wish to make a complaint.

Generally, there are two types of complaint:

  • Complaints about staff
Such complaints are where the conduct or behaviour of a police officer or police staff member was inappropriate or fell below expectation. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, the complaint should be made within 12 months of the alleged incident. 
  • Direction & Control’ Complaints
Such complaints are about overall force policies, commonly known as ‘organisational’ complaints. They may include operational policing policies, decisions about police resources, or general policing standards in your area.

Who can make a complaint?

A complaint may be made by –

  • Someone who has been the victim of inappropriate behaviour or conduct
  • Someone who witnesses such an incident
  • Someone who has been adversely affected by the incident
  • A person acting on behalf of one of the above with their written permission.

How to make a complaint

There are a number of ways you can make a complaint:

  • Complete the on-line form (link below or within the right-hand-column)
  • Go into any police station
  • By telephone: 101
  • By letter to any police station or our Headquarters (PSD Department, Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, Middlemoor, Exeter, EX2 7HQ)
  • Contact a body to represent you e.g. Citizens Advice Bureau; Racial Equality Council; Youth Offending Team; Probation Service; or Neighbourhood Warden, all of whom can provide information.
  • Contact a Solicitor or your Member of Parliament
  • Contact the IPCC at:
90 High Holborn, London WC1V 6BH
Telephone 0300 020 0096 (between 9.00am – 5.00pm)
For more information visit

What will happen to your complaint?

Your complaint will be considered and a decision made about whether to record it as a Complaint against Police or not (for example, you may not be someone eligible to make a complaint as outlined above).

You will be notified of that decision within 15 working days. If the decision is made not to record your complaint you can appeal the decision to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) who are the final arbitrators.

Most cases will be suitable for resolving locally by a supervisory officer who will contact you to discuss your complaint; this will probably be a local Sergeant or Inspector. There may be occasions when a local investigation is required, but this will still be conducted by a local supervisory officer.

Whilst all complaints are taken seriously, the most serious complaints or incidents will be dealt with by the force’s Professional Standards Department (PSD). In certain cases the PSD may refer the matter to the IPCC who will decide on the most appropriate mode of investigation.

More information on this and the complaints procedure can be found on the IPCC website:

Your complaint will be dealt with as speedily as possible and you will be informed of the progress of your complaint at least every 28 days.

Complaints Form

Please click on this complaint form link to open an on-line complaints form to the Devon & Cornwall police. Please do not use this form in an emergency, but dial 999

You do not have to give us your details, but without them we will not be able to contact you and it may prevent us from being able to properly investigate your complaint.



Devon & Cornwall Police
Police Headquarters

Tel: 101
Tel: Textphone 18001 101.
Mobile: Text / SMS 999 for deaf, hard of hearing and the speech impaired
E-Mail: Click here

Your Area

Useful Links

  • Created: 10/08/2010 12:58:08 |
  • Modified: 06/12/2013 13:32:16

Back to top


Back to top

Devon & Cornwall Police, Police Headquarters, Middlemoor, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HQ
Non-emergency number 101 for Devon & Cornwall Constabulary or Textphone 18001 101
Emergency number 999 or Text 80999 for deaf, hard of hearing and the speech impaired

© Devon & Cornwall Constabulary. All rights reserved.
Devon & Cornwall Police are not responsible for the content of external websites.