Terrorism and violent extremism
What is terrorism?
Terrorism is the USE or THREAT of action designed to:
- influence the government or intimidate the public or a section of the public and
- the use or threat is made for the purpose of advancing a political, religious or ideological cause
Action falls within this if it:
- involves serious violence against a person
- involves serious damage to property
- endangers a person’s life, other than that of the person committing the action
- creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public
- is designed seriously to interfere with, or seriously to disrupt an electronic system
What is violent extremism?
The Crown Prosecution Service describes `violent extremism' as:
"The demonstration of unacceptable behaviour by using any means or medium to express views which:
- foment (promote), justify or glorify terrorist violence in furtherance of particular beliefs;
- seek to provoke others to terrorist acts;
- foment (promote) other serious criminal activity or seek to provoke others to serious criminal acts; or
- foster hatred which might lead to inter-community violence in the UK."
Terrorism and violent extremism are not new to Devon and Cornwall. The incident at the Giraffe restaurant, Exeter in May 2008 where a bomb was partially detonated only injuring the bomber himself, highlights that we all have a duty to help keep our daily lives safe from terrorism and violent extremism.
The most significant threat to the UK currently is posed by international terrorism. The current national threat level is SUBSTANTIAL - meaning an attack is a strong possibility.
Working together with the intelligence services and other police partners, dedicated officers and staff are constantly assessing the threats to our region by sharing information and monitoring activities of suspected persons who may be involved in terrorist activity.
Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly are statistically one of the safest places to live in the UK. By working together effectively we can all help to keep it that way.
Devon & Cornwall Police Special Branch
Our special branch and counter-terrorism officers, in conjunction with neighbourhood policing teams, play a key role in protecting you and maintaining order.
We gather, develop and analyse information from a variety of sources to help protect you from national security threats, especially terrorism, spying, nuclear weapons development and other extremist activities.
We work closely with our partners and local communities in trying to reduce the risk to Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly from terrorism and violent extremism so that we can go about our lives freely and with confidence.