News article

Man jailed for Teignmouth murder

Ablett David 100366.jpg

David Ablett convicted of the murder of Matthew Jackson

A 52-year-old man has been found guilty following a murder in Teignmouth in June.

David Ablett, of Flat 2A 16 Barnpark Terrace, Teignmouth, denied stabbing to death 38-year-old Matthew Jackson on Sunday 3 June 2018, but was convicted at Exeter Crown Court of murder on Monday 26 November.

Ablett has been sentenced to life in prison for murder, to serve a minimum of 16 years. He was also found guilty on the charge of supply of a class-A drug and sentenced to three years in jail to be served concurrently.

The court was told that Ablett stabbed Mr Jackson six times following an altercation at Ablett’s home address in Teignmouth.

Following the fatal stabbing, Ablett made attempts to cover up his actions by washing the murder weapon and hiding it in nearby undergrowth.

Ablett was then aided by Neal Hinton, aged 39 also from Teignmouth who assisted with the moving of the body of Jackson away from the scene and disposing of it by nearby bins; Property belonging to Mr Jackson was also placed in undergrowth away from the scene.

The body of Matthew Jackson was found by a member of the public early in the morning on the 3rd June and a police investigation was initiated. The investigation team soon located Ablett in his flat whereby injuries he had sustained in the fight were covered up.

Ablett proceeded gave investigating officers false information about how he came by his injuries in an attempt to distance himself from the murder.

Ablett was arrested on suspicion of murder and throughout the investigation, refused to speak to Police about the incident, leaving the investigation team to piece together themselves what had occurred through witnesses, extensive CCTV footage, forensic and phone evidence.

During his trial, Exeter Crown Court heard from Ablett that he was defending himself from Jackson who was attacking him for drugs. However, the prosecution argued this was a case of Ablett’s word only, that he was not defending himself but his drugs and that the force used was not reasonable having stabbed Matthew Jackson six times to the chest causing fatal wounds.

A jury has today found Ablett guilty of murder, and he now starts a considerable sentence in prison.

Hinton plead guilty at a previous and separate hearing to perverting the course of justice; he awaits sentencing at Exeter Crown Court on Monday 3 December.

Senior Investigating Officer, Detective Inspector Steve Davies of the Major Crime Investigation Team welcomed the sentence and added: “Ablett’s actions of trying to cover up the murder only went to show that this was not the deeds of someone who had innocently acted in self-defence.

“Throughout this investigation Ablett has tried everything to distance himself as the killer and today a jury has seen through his story of events; to stab someone six times is not reasonable force for self-defence and the jury have agreed with the prosecution on this.

“My team carried out an extensive investigation gaining evidence from witnesses, CCTV, phone data and forensic specialists. This was the only way of finding out what had happened prior to and on the day of the incident. The first time Ablett gave his version of events was when he spoke in court following all the evidence being presented to him by the prosecution team.

“We welcome today’s sentence, and our thoughts are with the family of Matthew Jackson.”


Media Office
Devon & Cornwall Police, Media Office
Police headquarters, Middlemoor

Non Emergency Directory (NED)

Current location: Change

There seems to be a problem, please refresh the page and try again.

©2015 Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

Content uploaded: |
Content correct on page at last modification date.
Devon and Cornwall Police are NOT accountable for the content of external websites