News article

Man jailed for Plymouth murder

Brinton Anthony 031077.jpg

Sentenced to 28 years

A 43-year-old man from Plymouth has today, 21 October been sentenced to life in prison to serve a minimum of 28 years for murder.

Anthony Brinton, of No Fixed Abode, Plymouth, pleaded guilty to murder Plymouth Crown Court following a seven day jury trial. Brinton has claimed a partial defence of loss of control, but the judge stated that there was no enough evidence and Brinton changed his plea to guilty.

The court heard that Police had been called shortly after 3am on Monday 13 January, to a property on Cliff Road, Plymouth, following reports of concern for the welfare of a man inside.

Emergency services attended the address where 31-year-old Adrian Cieslik was located with multiple serious head injuries. He was taken to Derriford hospital in a critical condition where he later died on Sunday 22 March.

Following the incident Brinton disposed of the murder weapon and his clothing in the sea. He put on fresh clothing that he had in his van before he drove to a second location where he disposed of more clothing.

Brinton was initially arrested on suspicion of attempted murder and was subsequently charged and remanded into custody. He was later charged with murder following Adrian’s death.

Anthony Brinton was sentenced at Plymouth Crown Court on 21 October to life in prison, to serve a minimum of 28 years.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Costa Nassaris, said: “This was a vicious and cowardly attack by Anthony Brinton, which we believe occurred when Adrian was lying in his bed. Brinton attacked the victim leaving him with terrible head injuries, which he would never recover from.

“This has been a complex and protracted investigation, which has been drawn out by the lies and blaming of others by Brinton. Only a thoroughly detailed investigation by determined officers from the Major Crime Investigation Team revealed his lies. The Judge was kind enough to commend the Police for the thoroughness of the investigation and highlighted the efforts of Detective Sergeant Dan Ritson and Detective Constable Shaun Harris. I would like to add my own thanks to them and to the prosecution team and members of the public who came forward to assist.

 “Mr Cieslik had moved to Plymouth where he was working to create a good life for himself and we have sent our deepest condolences to his family, who live in Poland and were unable to attend the trial. We hope today’s outcome will bring some small comfort to them.”


Media Office
Devon & Cornwall Police, Media Office
Police headquarters, Middlemoor

Non Emergency Directory (NED)

Current location: Change

There seems to be a problem, please refresh the page and try again.

©2015 Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

Content uploaded: |
Content correct on page at last modification date.
Devon and Cornwall Police are NOT accountable for the content of external websites