Information we will need from you
In order to assist us, it is important you have the following information ready before telephoning us:
- Why you think the person you are concerned about may have be involved
- Their full name and date of birth or approximate age
- Their current or last address
- Their home telephone number, including area code
- Their ethnic appearance
- Any major distinguishing features i.e. unusual clothing that would make them stand out in a crowd
- Whether they were alone or not
- Whether they drove. If they did, what is the make, model, colour, type i.e. saloon, estate, etc. and vehicle registration number?
- Any other information about the person that may be helpful?
The information you give us will be entered onto a computer database. This helps us manage the records as well as provide the Investigation Team at the scene of the incident with up-to-date details. If you are reporting a family missing, a separate entry will need to be completed for each family member who you are concerned about.
We will also need information about you
- Your full name and relationship to the person that you are concerned about
- Your full address, including the country if it is outside the UK
- Your home telephone number, including full dialling details if outside the UK
- A different contact number i.e. a pager or mobile telephone number
- The full name and relationship of next of kin
- The address of next of kin
- The telephone number and any other contact number of next of kin?
You must let other family and friends know you have reported someone missing, as they might be trying to contact us with the same information.
If the person you are concerned about contacts you to tell you they are safe, you should contact the casualty bureau straight away to pass on that information. This allows us to concentrate on those people who are still unaccounted for.
When we have definite news about a person you have reported missing we will contact you; therefore it is important that someone is near to the telephone to receive the call.