It is a criminal offence to ride/drive a motor vehicle on any public right of way other than a road, Byway or approved track.
If you are caught riding or driving a motor vehicle on a Public Footpath or Bridleway you will be issued with a Section 59 warning for using your vehicle in an Anti-Social Manner.
If you are riding or driving your vehicle on a Public Footpath or Bridleway your vehicle must still be insured, taxed and MOT’d so that you are covered in case you have an accident while riding or driving there. If you do not have these then your vehicle will be seized and you will need to pay to get it back.
If you are riding off-road on private land you must have the permission of the land owner to be there.
How to tell the difference between the different types of public rights of way:
– these have Yellow Waymarkers (a small arrow sign). Public have the right to access these on foot ONLY.
- these have Blue Waymarkers. Public have access to these on foot, horseback or bicycle.
Public Restricted Byway
- these have Purple Waymarkers. Public have access to these on foot, horseback, bicycle or horse-drawn carriage
- these have Red Waymarkers. Public have access to these on foot, horseback, bicycle or vehicle including horse-drawn carriage, motorcycle or other Motor Vehicle.
To report such activity please complete the 101 webform. Thank you
Places to ride / drive vehicles off-road legally
Below are some suggestions of places where you can legally drive or ride off road. As our advice states, you must be insured and your vehicle must have a valid VEL (“road tax”) and MOT.
It is your responsibility to wear appropriate protective gear and obey all regulations on site, and you must check that the location is suitable for your requirements, your skill level and your vehicle. You should also check that you are prepared to pay any fees involved.
Please note: Devon and Cornwall Police does not recommend or endorse any specific off road centre.
- Trax and Trails - South Alston, Stoke Climsland, Callington, Cornwall PL17 8LX
- Hendra Motocross Track - Hendra Farm, Mitchell TR8 5AZ
- Baldhu Quarry near Truro
- Ruthernbridge, Bodmin Motocross track
- Nancemellon Motocross track
- Nancegollan Motocross track located between Camborne and Helston
- Brendons Farm - located near to Looe
- Bevomoto MX Track Launceston - Five Lanes near Launceston PL15 7RN
- Landrake Moto Parc - Just off the A38 from Cornwall to Plymouth