Reporting domestic abuse

Help is available, we have trained domestic abuse officers

Domestic abuse can affect anyone and takes many forms. Help and advice is available. We treat domestic abuse very seriously and have trained domestic abuse officers who can help you.

You can report domestic abuse in the following ways:

Email us, using the 101 form

Call us, using the 101 number

Remember - in an emergency you should always call 999

What happens when you report domestic abuse?

We have specifically trained domestic abuse officers, who will support you and help you through the process.

You can speak in confidence to a domestic abuse officer if you want general advice on domestic abuse. We can also signpost you to other agencies that will be able to support you.

We will look at the best way of preventing the abuser from abusing again and endangering lives.

We have a range measures that we can use to help you.

We can:

  • Intervene, arrest, caution or charge an abusive partner, if this is the most appropriate cause of action
  • Detain a person at a police station for up to 24 hours
  • Impose conditions, such as not going near a person or a location, on a person who has been arrested and charged with an offence
  • We can arrest someone who has broken bail conditions, or an injunction with powers of arrest
  • Protect you and your children
  • Arrange first aid or other medical assistance (such as an ambulance)
  • Offer you support and reassurance
  • Arrange transport to a safe place (if you want this)
  • Help you access other agencies (for example, Women's Aid)
  • Keep you informed of criminal proceedings, including changes to bail conditions
  • Support you if you need to attend court

What if I don't want to involve the police?

If you feel you do not want to involve the police, you can contact one of the support agencies in your area for help and advice.  For information about the agencies that can help please visit the help and support page.

Alternatively, action through the civil courts is possible and you may wish to consult a solicitor.

Hiblio TV - 'Getting help for Domestic Abuse'


Contact centre
Devon & Cornwall Police
Police Headquarters
Middlemoor, Exeter

Tel: 101
Textphone: 67101 sms/text number for the deaf/hard hearing/speech impaired
Tel: 18001 101 Minicom/Textphone

Non Emergency Directory (NED)

Current location: Change

There seems to be a problem, please refresh the page and try again.

©2015 Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

Content uploaded: |
Content correct on page at last modification date.
Devon and Cornwall Police are NOT accountable for the content of external websites