Who is eligible?
- Everyone under 18 is considered to be a vulnerable person
- Anyone whose evidence is likely to be affected as a result of a mental disorder
- Anyone who has significant special educational needs
- Anyone who as a physical disability or disorder
- Victims of a sexual offence or human trafficking
- Witnesses to a gun or knife offence if your evidence is likely to cause you fear or distress
What special measures can be put in place?
We will try to tailor any special measures to suit your needs and to help you to give your best evidence during the police interview or in court.
Special measures include:
- Giving evidence in court from behind a screen
- Giving evidence in court via a live video link
- Video recording your statement which is then played in court
- The removal of wigs and gowns worn by judges and lawyers
- The help of a third person to explain the questions you are asked either during a police interview or in court
- Clearing the court to allow you to give evidence in private