The witness service
The witness service is a free service run by citizens advice. It aims to support you before, during and after a trial. Your family and friends who are attending court can get help too. The witness service supports witnesses for both the prosecution and defence. It also provides comprehensive support to children attending court.
The Witness Service can give you:
- Someone to talk to confidentially, about how you're feeling before a trial
- Information about what to expect in court, including a chance to see the court beforehand and learn about court procedures
- A quiet place to wait before you are called to give evidence
- Someone to go with you into the courtroom if you want, to help you feel more at-ease
- Practical help (for example with claiming your expenses)
- Easier access to people, such as court staff, who can answer specific questions about the case
- A chance to talk over the case when it has ended and to get more help or information.
The Witness Service is free and independent of the police or courts.