The below is a learning module that was created to raise awareness amongst police officers of the differing characteristics associated within the autistic spectrum. It includes experiences from a young person, Adam, who has Asperger syndrome and his mother, Sam who is also a police officer who each give different perspectives of living with autism.
It is to provide police officers with enhanced understanding of:
- Common characteristics of Autism and Asperger syndrome.
- How to best respond and interact with an individual with autism in policing situations
- Awareness of the autism alert card
- How and where to find out further information
Responding to an incident
Stop and Search, arrest and the environment
Autism Alert Card
We would like to express our gratitude to:
- Adam De Reya
- Supt. Sam De Reya
This has been produced by:
- Devon Diverse Communities Team
- Corporate Equality and Diversity Team
- Youth Services Team