You can be fined up to £5,000 if you’re found guilty of illegal hunting.
Hunting with dogs
You can’t hunt some animals such as foxes, hares and deer.
You can hunt under certain conditions, for example:
- Stalking and flushing out - but only to control pests and only if they’re shot as soon as possible afterwards
- Hunting rats and rabbits
- Retrieving hares that have been shot
- Rescuing wounded animals, as long as they weren’t wounded on purpose
- Drag hunting and trail hunting
Under the Hunting Act (2004):
- You can be fined up to £5,000 if you’re found guilty of illegal hunting
- The court can take away the dogs and hunting equipment you used when the law was broken
- It’s against the law for you to allow others to use your land for illegal hunting