Horsewatch is a voluntary organisation made up of like-minded people who have an interest in reducing theft of horses, ponies, their transport and equipment.
How to keep your horse and equipment safe
Don’t make it easy for thieves. All you need are some good security measures, most of which are inexpensive and you can do yourself.
- Mark equipment using your postcode followed by your house number or the first two letters of your house name, for example EX1 5DB 14 or TR1 4BS CH. This is your unique code that pinpoints your address from all others in the country. Mark it
- Firmly stamp your unique code into the leather, using a light hammer or mallet and metal dies that can be bought from most suppliers of engineers’ tools.
- Keep a detailed inventory describing all your valuable tack and the serial numbers.
- Secure saddles and bridles to their racks with chains and padlocks.
- Fit good quality mortice locks to doors.
- Fit bars or grills to windows.
- Reinforce wooden tack rooms internally with a steel plate or mesh.
- Keep the tack room door closed so people cannot easily see what is inside.
How to join or set up a Horsewatch scheme
To find out about a Horsewatch scheme in your area or to discuss setting up a new scheme email Horse Watch using the 'send us a message' form and selecting Horse Watch from the drop down.
If you want to link to this page use the short cut: www.dc.police.uk/horsewatch