Beat the Burglar
Burglary advice film highlighting a number of home security tips which everyone can put in place to help them avoid being victims of crime.
The video shows a crime prevention officer visiting someones home to give them advice on their home security. Visit our website for more information at West midlands Police. Video uploaded on 15 Mar 2010
Most burglaries happen when homes are empty.
Try to make your home appear occupied when you go on holiday, even if it is just for a few days.
Top tips to secure your property when on holiday:
- Ask a trusted friend, neighbour or relative to look out for your property while you are away. Ask them to collect post from the letterbox so it does not build up, put the bins out and open and close curtains.
- Cancel newspaper and milk deliveries.
- Use automatic timer switches for lights in key rooms.
- If you have a driveway ask a friend or neighbour to park their car there so it looks like someone is home.
- Join a local Neighbourhood Watch scheme.