What is the IoT?
What are the risks of using the IoT?
How the Criminals can take advantage of your internet connected devices
Cyber criminal are using IoT devices to:
- Send spam e-mails;
- Maintain anonymity;
- Confuse network traffic;
- Mask Internet browsing;
- Generate click-fraud activities;
- Buy, sell, and trade illegal images and goods;
- Conduct credential stuffing attacks, which occurs when criminals use an automated script to test stolen passwords from other data breach incidents on unrelated web-sites; AND
- Sell or lease IoT botnets to other criminals for financial gain.
Cyber criminals can get access to devices with weak passwords or factory set default passwords, unpatched firmware or other software vulnerabilities, or employ brute force attacks on devices with default usernames and passwords.
Cyber criminals maybe using your devices if you notice:
- A major spike in monthly Internet usage;
- A larger than usual Internet bill;
- Devices become slow or inoperable;
- Unusual outgoing Domain Name Service queries and outgoing traffic; or
- Home or business Internet connections running slow.
How to protect your IoT against the Criminal
- Reboot devices regularly (most malware is stored in memory and removed upon a device reboot)
- Change default usernames and passwords.
- Use anti-virus regularly and ensure it is up to date.
- Ensure all IoT devices are up to date and security patches are incorporated.
- Configure network firewalls to block traffic from unauthorized IP addresses and disable port forwarding.
- Isolate IoT devices from other network connections.
Report an attack
Please report an attack to Action Fraud
For more information follow us on Twitter DC_CyberProtect
Free cyber security advice
If you own a local business or are part of a community group in Devon or Cornwall, our Cyber Protect Officers are available to provide free, impartial cyber security advice.
Whether you run a small to medium enterprise or a community group, our Cyber Crime Protect and Prevention Officers are here to help.To arrange a presentation to your staff, management or group, completely free of charge, email us at cyberProtect.