The impact of cyber crime by cyber aware.gov.uk
There are a couple of measures you can take to protect yourself whilst online.
- Change your passwords at least every three months and never use the same password for different accounts. (If a company is hacked the hackers could use the information they steal to try and access other accounts you have). At the very least always use a different password for online banking.
- Never give your credit card details or bank account information via email
- Don’t open attachments or emails from people you don’t know
- Don’t become online friends with people you don’t know
- Never arrange to meet someone in person you’ve met online
- If anything you see or read online worries you, report it.
- Avoid giving out personal details on the Internet especially to people you don’t know. These could include your name, home address or telephone number.
What is ransomware and how can I protect myself?
If you got ransomware on your device, would you pay? Prevention is better than cure.