Start and end the night right
- Be sensible when drinking alcohol and know your limits.
- Avoid leaving your drink unattended to stop opportunists.
- If you begin to feel really drunk after only a couple of drinks, get help from a trusted friend or a member of staff from the venue management.
- Plan how you’re getting home, who you’ll be going with and look after your friends
- If you’re walking home, make sure you’re not alone and stick to well-lit areas.
- Only use licensed taxis.
- Keep your mobile on you, make sure it’s charged, and it has data and call minutes that you can use if you need to.
Getting the night talked about for the right reasons
- Trust your own judgement. Don’t let your friends sway you into doing anything you don’t want to do.
- If you are not having a good time or feel uncomfortable call someone you trust to pick you up.
Make sure your big night is a great night out
- Just because you have had sex with someone before, it does not give them the right to make you do it again.
- If you have accepted drinks or a meal or a gift from someone, it does not give them the right to demand sex.
- If you say no to sex, the other person must stop.
- If a person wants to have sex with you, the only way this can happen is if you have given your willing consent. Otherwise it’s rape.
Help and advice
Call 999 in an emergency if you or someone else needs immediate assistance.
If it’s not urgent and you need help or advice, please use one of our non-emergency contact methods here www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/contact
There are other agencies that can help you if you have been the victim of rape or sexual assault if you are not ready to involve the police just yet.
- National Rape Crisis Helpline 0808 802 9999
- Devon and Cornwall Sexual Assault Referral Centres (SARC) 0300 3034626
- Devon, Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Independent Sexual Advisor Service 03458 121212
- Victim Care Unit 01392 475900
- Safer Futures - Domestic Abuse Support, Cornwall 0300 777 4777
- The Women’s Centre Cornwall 01208 77099
- Devon Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Services 01392 204 174