Ask NED - How can we help?

AskNed full logo Do you need help and advice? Not sure where to look or who to speak to?

Then AskNED, our non–emergency directory. AskNED combines the most commonly asked questions with the contact details of those who can help.

Simply enter your question below, select an area and AskNED will provide the information you need.

Ask the PoliceAskNED includes the Ask the Police database and common questions asked of our partner organisations.

AskNed is the copyright © of Devon and Cornwall Constabulary 2015, all rights reserved

What can the police do about noise complaints?

Accepted Answer for your location

Relevant locations:

  • National

If you are dealing with noisy neighbours, before involving any outside organisations, it is best to first try and resolve the issue with your neighbour, especially if this is the first such incident. Involving outside organisations can cause tension, and may affect your relationship with your neighbour.

Noise nuisance is generally treated as an environmental health matter, to be handled by the local council. Your name and address would normally be kept in strict confidence and would not be released to the person causing the noise. However, if the council decides to take legal action, you should be prepared to give a statement and attend court to give evidence. In almost all cases you should contact your council before involving the police.

In very serious cases of noise nuisance, the police and local councils can work together to seek anti-social behaviour orders (ASBOs) against residents causing alarm, harassment and distress to others.

Where the noise is associated with intimidating, violent or threatening behaviour/language and you believe that you or someone else may be in immediate danger, please dial 999.

AskNed is the copyright © of Devon and Cornwall Constabulary 2015, all rights reserved

AskNED includes the Ask the Police database. Ask the Police copyright is upheld by the ©PNLD

PNLD logo

Content uploaded: |
Content correct on page at last modification date.
Devon and Cornwall Police are NOT accountable for the content of external websites