Lost and found property

How to report lost property and what to do if you find property.

Report my loss homepageLost property

There is a free, quick and easy way to report lost property. There is no charge for Devon and Cornwall Residents.

Simply follow the link and complete the online form at the Report My Loss website.

Your lost item will be added to a police-approved, national database that can be viewed by police nationally.

Report my loss form pageOnce you have completed the form (which you can update or edit at any time), you will receive a lost property reference number which can be used for your insurance claim, should you choose to make one.

Please note: The form does ask for your date of birth. The form mentions a charge but for Devon and Cornwall residents this does not need to be paid.

You can report almost anything lost within the UK via this system, with the following exceptions:

Lost Passport

If you have lost your passport please complete a Form LS01, which can be obtained from your local Post Office or online at the gov.uk site lost my passport or by contacting HM Passport Office on 0300 222 0000.

Found British Passport

If you find a UK Passport, please return it directly to Freepost, HM Passport Office after completing the 'What to do if you find a British passport' form, which contains complete instructions.

Lost Dog

If you have lost a dog please contact your local authority dog warden, via your local council’s Environmental Health Department, who will be able to help you.

For any other lost animal please contact the RSPCA or your local vet.

What to do with found items

Most found property does NOT need to be passed to police.

Items can be handed to the premises owner or public transport operator where they were found.

You can also use the Record found property form to let us know that you have found an item.

The following items should be taken to your local police enquiry office:

  • Mobile phones, laptops, cameras – anything with an internal memory
  • Personal ID - such as passport, driving licence, bank card, utility bills
  • Drugs
  • Significant amounts of cash

For your nearest Police Enquiry Offices (PEOs) across Devon and Cornwall please visit the Police Enquiry Offices page.

Please ring 101 for advice before moving the following items (or 999 if there is an immediate threat to life):

  • Poison or any hazardous substance/liquid
  • Firearms and ammunition
  • Explosives (or what appears to be an explosive)

What to do about stray animals:

If you find a stray dog and it has no address tag or telephone number on its collar, please contact your local authority dog warden, via your local council’s Environmental Health Department, who will be able to help you.

For any other stray animals, please visit:

The Police only need to be informed if a stray animal is on the public highway.


Contact centre
Devon & Cornwall Police
Police Headquarters
Middlemoor, Exeter

Tel: 101
Textphone: 67101 sms/text number for the deaf/hard hearing/speech impaired
Tel: 18001 101 Minicom/Textphone

Non Emergency Directory (NED)

Current location: Change

There seems to be a problem, please refresh the page and try again.

©2015 Devon and Cornwall Constabulary

Content uploaded: |
Content correct on page at last modification date.
Devon and Cornwall Police are NOT accountable for the content of external websites