In 1842 a group of 200 miners rioted outside the Bullers Arms in Church Street when they were refused further drink. After closing time the police were called and several of the ringleaders were taken into custody. Upon this a general cry of “one and all” was given and a party of nearly 200 speedily gathered around the house, which they attacked, demolishing the doors and windows and succeeded in rescuing their companions. The Police and some of the inmates were ill treated and the whole neighbourhood was kept in a state of fear and tumult.
A police force for the cash-strapped Borough of Liskeard did not materialise until 1853 when they resolved to appoint Inspector Humphreys and Constable Spry as the first and only members of the Liskeard Borough Police. Their houses and prison were located in the Old School House in the Castle. For this the town council paid the Duchy of Cornwall an annual rent of £3.
In 1877, after repeated condemnation of the force by the HMI, it was amalgamated with the Cornwall Constabulary.