Our alliance does not stop either force from exploring other collaborations or working with other forces. For example, the five south west forces – Avon and Somerset, Devon and Cornwall, Dorset, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire – are working together on an increasing number of projects through the South West Regional Collaboration Programme.
Even in areas where there is no immediate need to work closely together, all decisions and proposals are shared with other forces in the region to make sure that we think about all opportunities for collaboration.
Our alliance can also support collaboration beyond the five police forces in the south west region. That includes looking at options to work with other services within the public sector, such as the fire service.
Our alliance in numbers:
- £396 million – The combined budgets of Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police.
- £145 million – Combined budgets of the business areas within the remit of the alliance.
- £12 million - is the value of combined annual savings targeted as a result of working together through the alliance programme. This is forecast in 2022/23.
- 2.43 million – The population of the three counties covered by the two forces within the alliance. The number rises to more than 2.9 million in the summer months with more than 14 million tourists and day trippers visiting the three counties during the holiday season.
- Almost 5,000 square miles - The geographic area covered by the two forces within alliance.
- More than 850 miles – The length coastline policed by the alliance, including 220 miles of heritage coast and two of the World’s largest natural harbours.
- 200 miles - The distance by road from the western most to the eastern most point of our geography. As the crow flies the distance from east to west is around 180 miles.