On the road
Here are some simple ways to stay safe when you are going outside.
- Go out with someone else when you can, rather than by yourself, and return home with them as well.
- Make sure you know exactly where you are going and plan how best to get there before you leave.
- Never accept a lift from someone you do not know.
- Always walk on the pavement and try to keep to well lit pavements and paths.
- If you have to walk on the road, walk facing the traffic, (you will see the front of the cars coming towards you). Walk on the grass beside the road, or if there is no grass, as close to the side of the road as you can. Do not walk in the middle of the road. Have you seen dumb ways to die?
- If you are riding a bicycle on the road, ride on the left. The same side of the road that the traffic is travelling in, (you will see the back of the cars moving away from you).
- If you are riding a bicycle on the pavement always watch out for people who are walking and who may suddenly appear from a side road, house or garden.
- Be aware of what is around you – choose safer routes where there are busy places, such as shops, police stations, schools or friend’s houses, rather than routes with parks, warehouses or building sites.
Road safety posters
If you have one you wish us to share please email them to website messaging and we will publish them here if we can.
Some videos for you to watch.
Crossing the road
Some key points to remember and share with your younger friends
- Remember when crossing the road to stop look and listen
- If there is a crossing nearby use it
- Find a place to cross where there are no parked cars. If you have to cross where there are parked cars, find the biggest gap between the cars. Stop and look around the end of the cars for traffic before you cross standing as tall as you can.
- Do not run - be cool and walk!
The boy who didn't stop, look and listen by Think!
Riding your bicycle on the road
Wearing your helmet correctly
Did you recognise all the different languages showing the title at the beginning of these short videos?
Road safety video
If you can make a video, or design a poster with a message of staying safe on our roads then please email to the website messaging and we will add the best ones here.
If you cycle always wear a helmet to protect the big squidgy thing between your ears!
Select the image
Print the image
Colour the image
Can you think of some good advice that the puppy could give on how to ride a bike safely? If you can, email them to the web team and we will publish them here.
Content uploaded: 26/11/2015 08:37 | Modified: 11/06/2020 17:12